Lonavala is one of the twin hill stations located near to each other, the other being Khandala. These hill stations are very popular getaway spots for people from Mumbai and Pune, which are very well-linked with Lonavala by road and rail.It is about 64 kilometers from the city of Pune and 96 kilometers from the city of Mumbai. It is known for its production of the hard candy Chikki. Monsoons are the best time to visit Lonavala/Khandala.
Top 5 places to visit in Lonavala :
1. Lonavala lake: Primarily a picnic spot during the monsoons - the lake being dry in other parts of the year is the Lonavala Lake. At a mere 1.5km from the town, this destination is ideal for families as well as couples.
2. Karia Caves : It is located 8 kms from city centre. The Ashoka pillar carved with lions on a pedestal is a must watch. The ancient rock structure therefore are very mesmerising to watch.
3. Rajmachi Fort : It is located Midway between Lonavala and Khandala is a fort by the name of Rajmachi Fort, a prominent landmark that watches over some of the most breathtakingly beautiful and wide sceneries of the region.
4. Aambey Valley : This is one of the most favorite place of tourist. A one of its kind, this place is known for its irreplaceable grandeur and plush signature features. The fountains of ecstasy, Sahyadri peaks and the historic Koyarigarh fort offer a spectacular view of the grand Aambey valley city.
5. Koregad fort : A fort constructed on an isolated hill, at a distance of about 24km from Lonavala, tends to be the only fort atop a hill in the town. The fort has two entrance gateway with a Ganesh Temple and other small caves around.